“I have successfully replaced four items in my toiletries bag with one oil.”
One of my favourite things to do is to de-clutter. This includes removing material possesions from my life that I either don’t use or don’t need and condensing as many items down to one as I can.
Last year I started using coconut oil as a body moisturiser. I did this more for convenience than anything else as I was travelling through Asia and found it hard to find a good quality, reasonably priced body moisturiser. Coconut oil on the other hand was very easy to come by, cheap and buying it meant I was supporting local business.
At the time, I was able to replace three of my usual beauty items with coconut oil – Body moisturiser, face moisturiser and hair conditioner. This was fantastic as it meant I was carrying less and my toiletries bag weighed a little less too.
After a little while of using the coconut oil on my face, I found I was starting to break out on my forehead. After some research I learnt this is because coconut oil is comedogenic. This means that this oil will block pores and may cause acne and blackheads. Since I have combination skin, using it, it seems, made me more prone to breakouts.
This was a shame and I had to go on the hunt for a face moisturiser again. However, I did continue using coconut oil for my body and hair as its benefits fair outweighed its shortcomings.
THE BENEFITS OF COCONUT OIL
– It’s full of natural saturated fats which keep the skin soft and smooth by retaining moisture.
– It contains fatty acids which make it anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
– It contains natural Vitamin E which promotes healthy skin growth, prevents premature aging and keeps skin smooth and glowing.
– It contains proteins which contribute to cellular health and tissue repair and reduces the appearance of scars. It’s fantastic for hair damage repair and hair growth. It strengthens the hair and reduces breakage. And it maintains a silky, smooth and glowing head of hair.
I have basically fallen in love with coconut oil! I love the fact that it can replace so many of my usual products and it’s completely natural and makes my hair and body feel amazing. But now I want even more… I want to find an oil that will moisturise my face without breakouts as well.
And I found it!!
Introducing… Sweet Almond Oil (clap, clap, clap, clap)
Sweet almond oil is another one of nature’s all-in-one products that serves several purposes. It can do everything that coconut oil can and to make it even better, I can use it on my face with no breakouts. This is because it has a low comedogenic rating, meaning it won’t clog pores for most people. However, some people may experience a ‘purge’ effect which may last a couple of weeks. Find out all about comedogenic ratings over at the Holistic Health Herbalist blog.
THE BENEFITS OF SWEET ALMOND OIL
– It is very rich in Vitamins E, A, B & D and minerals including potassium, calcium and magnesium which helps to lock in moisture and improve absorption, keeping the pores unblocked. This keeps the skin looking healthy, soft and smooth. It is especially great for those with dry, cracked or irritated skin.
– The natural vitamins and fatty acids in sweet almond oil help reduce signs of aging including fine lines and crows feet. They also help to reduce dark circles under the eyes if used regularly.
– Sweet almond oil is great for acne sufferers! It gets in deep into the pores to dislodge build up and helps prevent further acne.
– It has many antioxidative properties which make it a great protectant against UV radiation damage and studies have shown it to actually slow down the effects of UV damage.
– It is also great for hair, promoting hair growth and repairing damage including breakage and split ends.
I’ve only been using sweet almond oil for a short time but already I’m noticing improvements in my face. The oil is easily absorbed and doesn’t leave a residue on my skin, so I am able to wear it during the day without looking like I’ve just dipped my head in an oil slick.
I’ve also noticed sweet almond makes my hair look and feel a little less oily also but still makes it feel just as healthy as coconut oil does.
USES OF COCONUT OIL & SWEET ALMOND OIL
This is not a comprehensive list but just the things I use it for. Both oils are great for sufferers of eczema and psoriasis also as they help to relieve the inflammation, itchiness and redness caused by these conditions.
– Face moisturiser
– Face scrub (when mixed with a little sugar)
– Body moisturiser
– Hair conditioner
– Hair treatment
– Make-up remover
– Scar reduction
– Tattoo aftercare
– Use as the base for DIY beauty and toiletries products such as deodorants, eye creams/serums, body scrubs etc
I have successfully replaced four items in my toiletries bag with one oil. AMAZING!!!
Sweet almond oil is easily obtained online or from your healthfood store. I’m yet to find a local bulk food store in Perth where I can refill my bottle (the closest one is an hour away). My next trip is to the United States and I’m hoping I’ll be able to find a bulk food store that stocks it while I’m there as I’m sure to run out in the next couple of months.
Coconut oil on the other hand has been at every bulk food store I’ve contacted. This is great as it means less waste!
Going zero waste for me has been an eye opening and enlightening journey so far and it has only just begun. I am naturally becoming more mindful and minimalistic. Choosing to use one product in the place of four and being content and happy with that has proven to me that I’m on the right path. I’m learning I don’t need a lot of things to produce a desired effect or make me happy. I’m also learning that nature has an effective answer for everything, all you have to do is trust.
Love Kat xx